Stephen Writes

Novels and Short Stories by Stephen England

Blog Tour de Troops

Posted By on November 12, 2011

Welcome to Blog Tour de Troops. You should have landed here from Ann Charles’ blog http://anncharles.com/deadwood/?p=1355 and please pick up the trail with Erin M. Klitze http://www.embklitzke.com/

November 11th, 1918. At 11 A.M., the War to End All Wars came to an end with the signing of the armistice between the Allies and Germany. Over the course of the war, the United States had suffered over 320,000 casualties. In Europe, an entire generation was wiped out.

In the years to come, November 11th would become a day of remembrance: Armistice Day. But it wasn’t the end. War never ends. And it never changes.

Over the years I spent writing my political/spy thriller Pandora’s Grave, US troops took part in conflicts in Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya. Soldiers are stationed across the world from Germany to Japan, and along the DMZ in Korea. In care packages for these men and women in uniform, books are one of the most requested items.

The emotional cost of these wars has been tremendous, and capturing a fraction of that psychological stress was part of the mission in writing Pandora’s Grave.

Pandora’s Grave is the story of CIA paramilitary operations officer Harry Nichols. It’s the story of the emotional cost of leadership under fire. Of the consequences of one man’s resolve to complete the mission at all costs.

You can read reviews of Pandora’s Grave at the following websites.

ManofLaBook.com

Collette Scott’s Blog

And the Suspense Magazine review, posted at Weldonburge.com

I would particularly like to thank ManofLaBook and Collette Scott for their support of Blog Tour de Troops. Stop by and check them out.

Long-time readers of this blog will recognize the name Michael Piro, whom I mentioned toward the end of my 4th of July blog on PTSD(Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder). Mike is a veteran of the Iraq War and the creator of www.ptsdsurvivordaily.com, a site I highly recommend for veterans and their families.

This Veteran’s Day, I’m honored to welcome Michael Piro to my blog for this one-on-one interview.

Stephen England: This Veteran’s Day, I suspect one thing on the mind of many Americans will be the recent announcement of the planned withdrawal of all US troops from Iraq. As a veteran of the Iraq War yourself, would you care to comment on the withdrawal and what we accomplished in the country?

Michael Piro: I’m not sure I can comment on what we accomplished. I have been removed from Iraq for 5 years, so my experience “in country” is a little out of date. I can say that I am thankful we are finally moving to a withdrawal plan. I am not sure that Iraq will stay stable without our presence, but they are a sovereign nation and are asking us to leave. I think our legacy will not be solidified for quite some time and I will leave that to the historians.

SE: It’s been a number of years now since you were in Iraq for your final tour in ‘06. I know the old saw is that “time heals all wounds”, but do you feel that your own struggle with PTSD has gotten any easier with the passage of time?

MP: I think time heals wounds, but the level of the impact of the scarring is another matter. I worked very hard in therapy and at home to get to the level to a level of understanding and normalcy. Certain aspects are not necessarily easier, but more manageable. I still mourn my friends, and I still can get very angry very quickly, I am just able to manage it better now. I think, though, that without addressing the wounds, you can stay in the same place for a long time or even get worse. I attend group therapy with mostly Vietnam Veterans. They are still dealing with issues they repressed for a long time. I am trying to get out in front of this…

SE: From reading your blog I understand that your wife was also deployed to Iraq during the time that you were there. How did that reality affect the challenges of your tour over there and your life now that you’ve both left the military?

MP: Well, over there, I think I naively thought it would be easier than it was to manage worrying about my Soldiers and my wife. I had two units that I was familiar and close with instead of one. As a leader, you feel responsible for your Soldiers and their actions. It was essentially doubled on the deployment we were together. My wife and I went through things that few other couples come close to, especially at a young age. It has helped us communicate and understand each other more.

SE: Since meeting you on Twitter earlier this year, I’ve seen you reach out to your fellow veterans on-line, through the mediums of the blog and social media. How has this helped in your own healing process?

MP: One of the therapies I went through early on was Cognitive Processing Therapy. In that therapy writing was the main method of expression. I think that as I have become more secure in my own understanding and been able to work through some of my own demons, writing has established itself as my favorite form of expression about PTSD. The blog is my favorite because I can work through things at my own pace. The social media component to interact with others is helpful because of the encouragement and support from within the community of Veterans and Veteran supporters.

SE: With the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, we’ve had to come to terms with the tragic number of soldiers who have committed suicide after returning home. I know it’s something you’ve dealt with in a number of your blog posts. In your opinion, is there more that the military could and should do to prepare its members for the reality of what they will face in combat?

MP: I do not think you can ever be completely prepared. You can get close. You can train effectively and hard, but using blanks or shooting at inanimate targets is a completely different universe than being on the receiving end of angry bullets. That said, there are experienced Soldiers in every unit who return from deployments. They can definitely shepherd along the new Soldiers. War is something you will never know unless you experience it first hand. That being said, I don’t think the military should do more to prepare them for what they will face in combat. I think they can do a better job of preparing them to face the world after they return. I am lucky that my wife was in the military. She gets it. If a Soldier comes home and tries to return to normal life without a support network, the feeling of isolation can be tremendous. In this aspect I think we can do a much better job of helping our returning Vets.

SE: One of the consequences of our all-volunteer military is a steadily decreasing number of those who have actually served in the armed forces. I think this factors into the difficulty that families have in helping a loved one with PTSD. If there was one thing you could say to a family in this situation, what would it be?

MP: That is a tough question… I don’t think there is only one thing. I would say that the top of the list of things is don’t try to understand your Veteran more than you try to support them. You can read blogs, you can read books, you can talk to other Veterans, but what is going on will take its course. There is an inherent “us” and “them” with Veterans. As much as a family member may not want to be in that group, by matter of experience, they are with “them”. I think that what is more important than trying to understand their Veteran is coming to grips with the adjustments the family will have to make to be more supportive and understanding. It is hard. Most look the same on the outside, but there is a lot more going on between their ears. And, I’m not saying you give them a pass on unacceptable or unhealthy behavior. There will be a lot of adjustments, being mentally prepared for them is going to take a lot of effort.

SE: Since your own retirement from the Army, you’ve become a member of the advisory board at VeteransAid. Could you tell us a little about your role with them and the work that they do in helping veterans?

MP: An old family friend approached me about joining up with VeteransAid on the advisory board. The executive board is comprised of Veterans from other eras, but none from the current wars. He asked me if I could lend my insight with my struggles with PTSD and help the group.

It happened to be at a point where I felt more comfortable addressing my PTSD in a more public way, the start of my blog, so I accepted. I am glad I did. VeteransAid is there to be a way for Veteran’s Groups to get assistance with funding. We take grant requests from the 501c3 group and try to help them with their latest projects. The charity space competing for attention and funding is very tight. We are trying to be a big entity that represents and helps the smaller guys.

SE: And finally, a book-related question, for Blog Tour de Troops is, after all, a book event. For an author like myself—and I know I’m not the only one—one of the great struggles of writing fiction involving soldiers and war is that I’ve never stood in your shoes. I also know that if I had, I probably wouldn’t want to write about it. What advice would you give to writers who wish to ensure that they treat the subject with respect? Or what common mistakes do writers need to avoid?

MP: I think the word that nailed the expectation is “fiction”. If you are mastering your craft I think you would read non-fiction accounts, wherever they may come from, to get ahold of necessary details to make the story more engaging and realistic. But, at the end of the day, it is still a work of fiction. I think that the readers will let a writer know if they disagree with the amount of respect they pay towards a topic, either with their wallets or otherwise. I have not written much fiction, so I cannot say what a writer should avoid, but I would just say go with your gut.

Thanks for joining us today, Mike. God bless

To receive your free e-copy of Pandora’s Grave, please leave a comment sharing the title of your favorite “military” novel and your e-mail. And please thank Mike—it’s been a honor to have him on the blog today.

Comments

131 Responses to “Blog Tour de Troops”

1. Enna P. says:

To be honest, I don’t have a favorite military novel, maybe because nobody has recommended any good ones to me lately. But the troops really deserve this! And I am honored to leave comment so a soldier can receive a book of their own to read!

ennapenglin(AT)sbcglobal(DOT)net

2. hi Stephen! reading your interview with Mike gave me goosebumps. war is one nasty business and i’d like to thank him and all the troops around the world for their sacrifices in making our world a better and safer place. i can’t really think of one particular military novel that would be a favorite but i liked All Quiet On The Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque. recently i read and reviewed a biographical novel called The Locksmith by Lafe Metz about a Jew who fled Nazi Germany and migrated to the US with his family, enlisted in the Army and went back to Germany to confront a man who betrayed them during KristallNacht.

thank you for your contribution to the troops and for being part of this tour. c”,)

aobibliophile(at)gmail(dot)com

3. Leslie says:

Thank you for what you are doing and a big thank you to all of our service men, women, and families.
    kindle3.user@verizon.net

4. Stephanie O. says:

Thank you Mike! For your service and stopping by this blog today.

The only book with “military” anything in it that I have read is Master At Arms by Kallypso Maters . . and that’s not really a MILITARY book.

Thank you! To our Troops for our freedom.

Thank you for taking part in this blog tour.

Stephanie O.
    ladybug07999@yahoo.com

5. Sarah says:

I’m not sure I can come up with a “military” book. Do fantasy militaries count?
    Thanks for sharing your book with everyone.
    helpersarah2009@gmail.com

• Rofi says:

kassa Posted on I would very much like to do my masters in early cohhdliod Education because I love to kkow more about how childresn learn, and I want contribute by preparing the right materials .

6. Laurie says:

Thanks for the interview. It’s especially appropriate now and my heart goes out to Mike. I wish him and his family the very best. I’m having a hard time thinking of a favorite military novel. I like military action where the world peoples have to come together to fight against invading aliens. War of the Worlds comes to mind. I am mostly commenting so one our soldiers will be able to get a copy of your book. It sounds good and I look forward to reading it, also.
    Thanks
    Laurie
    lauriej170 at gmail dot com

7. Krissie says:

Would love to receive a copy of your book. Thanks for the support of our troops.

8. The only military novel I had read was Band of Brothers. Thanks for participating.

eileen at booksrusonline.com

9. pamela bachmayer says:

I tend to read sci fi so I don’t have any preferences on military novels unless you count the sci fi ones. THen it would be the HOnor Harrington series by David Weber:)

Love that you are participating. thank you.
    pamela at pbdesigns dot biz

10. Patricia says:

Thanks for participating in this blog tour. Looking forward to reading your book!
    🙂
    pmccallum99 (at) yahoo.com

11. Vicki Keire says:

This is such a wonderful program! I’m so impressed with what you are doing for our service men and women.
    I would have to say my favorite military-themed book so far is The Hunt for Red October.
    Although I do not have a specific soldier in mind, I would love it if you could donate a book to a soldier from your request list. Also, I’m looking forward to reading your book myself! Thanks so much, and have a great weekend!
    vickikeire (at) gmail (dot) com

12. Ryan Mills says:

It is my honor to serve. Thank you for your support every little bit goes a long way. ryan.mills68(at)gmail(dot)com

Fav war books is the bicentennial series by John Jakes the chrinicals the Kent Family. It includes “The Bastard” and “The Rebels”. There are a total of 8 books in this series.

13. Hello! I enjoyed the blog post. Thanks so much to your guest! As for the book, I came by for the giveaway for a soldier. Thanks so much for thinking of them.
    woo woo woo!

14. BJ says:

Thanks so much to you and Mike for your post. My thoughts go out to him and all the returning war vets who need support!

Military thrillers are something I devour, so I hope you’ll allow me to comment on a couple of my favorites here. Right now, I’m making my way through Brad Thor’s excellent series, about a Navy Seal turned Secret Service agent. I also enjoy Vince Flynn, Daniel Silva, and…oh gosh, the list goes on and on.

I recently picked up Band of Brothers and The Pacific for my husband and as soon as he relinquishes them, I intend to read.

I’m very much looking forward to reading your book. Thank you! DiNozzoGibbs @ gmail.com

15. Andrea says:

I don’t read many military novels but one memorable one was Charleston by John Jakes.

Thank you for taking part in this tour and most of all thanks to all the members in our troops.

andreagrendahl AT gmail DOT com

16. Holly says:

Firstly Thank you Stephen for you participation in this amazing cause and a huge thank you to Mike for the great interview and for your service.

I’m not sure if I’ve ever read a military/war themed book so I couldn’t tell you my favorite.

I look forward to reading Pandora’s Grave

Thanks again

Shroudedheart(at)hotmail(dot)com

17. Stephen England says:

Thanks to everyone who has commented thus far. Michael Piro is a great guy and I am honored to call him my friend. I will start sending out the e-books shortly, so make sure to include your e-mail address. 🙂

18. I don’t read military novels but my husband does but I wanted to leave a comment for a soldier to receive a copy.

Thanks for supporting our troops and for the great interview.

My husband is a former Marine so I do see some of the things that Mike said.

Heather
    earthsbooknook at gmail dot com

19. Thank you for supporting the troops with the tour! 🙂

reikibirth at gmail dot com

20. Maghon Thomas says:

I honestly don’t have a favorite war novel, I normally don’t read that genre, but I will have to try one out now, preferably yours!! Thanks again for supporting out troops!!
    Magluvsya03@yahoo.com

21. heartNsole says:

Thanks for all your support for our troops! My family and I lived in Korea for two years. I grew up a military brat!

nook_heartnsole at yahoo dot com

22. Patti P says:

I don’t really have a fav military novel because I don’t read them. But I have great memories of watching The Bridge on the River Kwai with my dad.

This is such a wonderful thing to do for our troops. thank you

musicalfrog@ comcast.net

23. Brittany says:

Thank you for being a part of this!! My favorite “war” book is All Quiet on the Western Front.

brittanyrose40 AT yahoo DOT com

24. Stephen England says:

Our troops deserve all the support we can send their way. Bridge on the River Kwai is a great war movie–one of my personal favorites. Alec Guinness delivers a command performance.

Just a heads-up: My website’s servers were taken down by hackers twice in the last week, so I need to ask your patience if you experience any glitches.

25. Melissa says:

Mike thank you for your service! My favorite military novel would have to be Heart of Darkness. Thank you for being a part of this great program!

26. Thank you doesn’t say enough for what this blog tour is doing for our troops. They need this small little piece of home to help them through this very difficult time.

As a wife of a currently serving soldier, I can tell you from my own experience that each part of home we can give them, they need so badly.

betty.vickery.johnson@gmail.com

My loving husband

provert247 AT gmail DOT com

27. Stephen England says:

God bless you and your husband, Betty. I pray for a safe homecoming.

28. Melora Brock says:

I grew up reading a lot of science fiction and fantasy, so my military novels would largely be from that genre. I loved Harry Turtledove’s Guns of the South where South African neo-nazis/KKK of the future use a time machine to try to influence the outcome of the Civil War and realize that the past isn’t quite what they thought it would be. It was also the first book I read that I understood maneuvering and strategies in war.

Thank you for participating in this great tour, I look forward to reading your book!
    melorabrock {at} gmail {dot} com

29. Marianne says:

Thanks for sharing your novel. I would have to claim Brock and Bodie Thoenes’ complete series as my favorite military novel. But reading some of the other titles listed in the comments, makes me want to try some of those as well.

30. Tracy Riva says:

Mike,
    Thank you so much for being here and for sharing the resource for returning vets. My son-in-law is returning from his second tour of duty in Iraq in the next month and it will be nice to have a better idea of how to support him through the transition from the battlefield to home.

My favorite war book is “The Flag of Fathers” a non-fiction book about the people who fought at Iwo Jima and the men who raised the flag in that memorable photo. It was a wonderful book and one I will always treasure.

rivawriter(at)yahoo(dot)com

31. Pauline says:

Thank you for being part of the tour and supporting the troops!

Have a great day!
    pauline@pjhandcrafts.com

32. Anne says:

I can’t recall reading any military novel, perhaps a Hermingway novel a few decades ago.

Thanks for participating in the tour and donating books.

acm05atjuno.com

33. Na S. says:

Thank you for your being here Mike. I want to thank all the authors for supporting such a great cause and I can see many troops are going to be receiving books. I’m glad my comment right here counts! Pandora’s Grave sounds like a thrilling read and I would be glad to read it.

34. Theresa M says:

Thank you for supporting our Troops!
    t_manfredi@hotmail.com

35. Miranda says:

Thank you for doing this for our troops!!!! I am positive that they really appreciate this!! THANK YOU ALL TROOPS (past, present, and future) FOR YOUR SERVICE!!!!!

36. Julie Witt says:

What an awesome thing you are doing for our troops! My husband was in the Navy and my mother-in-law and daughter were in the Air Force, so supporting our troops is a very personal thing for me:) Thanks so much for free book!
    My favorite military book is Black Hawk Down! What an awesome book that was, even better than the movie!
    jwitt33 at live dot com

37. Karen says:

I used to send care packages via ‘Books for Soldiers’, and this is an awesome way to continue that effort!

As for a military novels, I like the Mercy Gunderson books by Lori Armstrong and ‘Old Man’s War’ by John Scalzi.

38. John Thomas says:

Thanks for supporting the troops. Please send my copy to the troops as well. Where Eagle’s Dare. Thanks again.

39. Matthew Reilly’s Ice Station. I loved the nonstop action.
    Awesome blog tour for a great cause.

quinnsmythwood(at)gmail(.)com

40. Janey says:

My favourite military book was Battle Cry by Leon Uris.
    (I also used to borrow my father’s books to read – he was a fan of W.E.B.Griffin’s Corps series and his Brotherhood of War series.)
    Repeating what others have said: thank you to the troops for what they do; thank you to you for supporting them and supplying them with a book to read; and thank you from me for your book – I can’t wait.

41. winnie says:

Thank you for supporting the troops! This tour is a wonderful idea!

chibipooh(at)gmail(dot)com

42. Amanda Wimer says:

Thank you for supporting our troops in such a generous manner! I know that each and every book received will be greatly appreciated! And thank you for allowing me to be a part of it through you!

iarvd@yahoo.com

43. Sue says:

Thank you for supporting our troops. I’ve sent quite a few books overseas for troops myself what a great way to show support
    Suefitz(at)yahoo(dot)com

44. Ruby M says:

Actually I don’t think I’ve ever read a military story before.

This is a wonderful idea! Thanks for supporting our troops!

ruby[dot]meek[at]yahoo[dot]com

45. rhonda laney says:

Right now can’t think of favorite but I did enjoy in the past month Seal of my Dreams. A collection of short stories featuring Navy Seals by a lot of authors. Thank you Milatary for my freedom. rlrlaney@yahoo.com

46. Maggie says:

The only “military” novel I can recall reading is Catch-22. Thank you for supporting our troops through this blog tour.
    cmhswi(at)yahoo(dot)com

47. Rachel says:

Thank you to Mike for speaking out and thanks to you Stephen for the interview. I am not sure what would be my favorite war book. I look forward to reading your book however.

pefrw (at) yahoo (dot) com

48. Stephen England says:

Thanks to everyone for stopping by and thanks for all the excellent book recommendations–there’s some here I haven’t read. God bless!

49. Stephalicious says:

Loved The Red Badge of Courage, awesome book! Thanks for the great interview Mike!

50. Stephalicious says:

And my email is
    randomness.stephalicious(at)gmail(dot)com

lol

51. My fav military novel is Gone With The Wind.
    God bless all our troops and their families.
    rinald47@gmail.com

52. Nancy Gilliland says:

I don’t read many ‘military’ novels, but thoroughly enjoyed the book that the movie and series MASH was based on.

nancyg5997@gmail.com

53. Don says:

Thanks. You all are doing a great service to those in the armed forces.

54. joannie sparks says:

Hi i am sorry fir Mike problems and all the other soldiers that come back with that much emotional distress, But i am so glad you are back and i tell you why

hi i am a War orphan from the

hi i am a War orphan from the Vietnam Era and i want to thank you so much for the support everyone is giving the soliders. Because when i was growing up we did not recieve any support and i pray that does never ever happen again because it was the hardest time for my mom left in a new city with no family and a house full of kids. I want you to know She Loved my Father so much she never Re-married or even dated.. He is one of the first sent over in 1962 never heard from again his whole group. So to this day know one but the govenment really know what happend All i want is to know what happened to all those men with my father and for every man and women to come back home safe.. Thanks Joannie jscddmj [at] aol [dot] com

55. Sophia Rose says:

Thank you for participating in this worthy project, Stephen.

And a ‘thank you’ on so many levels to Mike (and his wife) for serving and sharing here for your interview. My hope is that you continue to see success in your endeavors to work through PTSD and I know what you are doing with your current projects will benefit others.

Favorite military book- really? Just one? How about a few authors: Michael and Jeff Shaara and Shelby Foote.

sophiarose1816@gmail.com

56. SarahM says:

What a great way to support our troops! Thank you 🙂

smaccall AT comcast.net

57. Mary says:

Thank you, Mike, for your service to our country!

Thanks to all the authors who are partcipating in this Blog Tour.

Book – The Rape Of Nanking by Iris Chang

jtcgc at yahoo dot com

58. CassandraG says:

This is such a worthwhile cause. “Passchendaele” is a good military novel.
    divavixenqueen(at)gmail(dot).com

59. D. M. Kenyon says:

Stephen, I would like to say I “enjoyed” your interview with Michael Piro, but it made me sad. I am proud of him and I am glad that you took the time to put that interview together. These guys have given their all and, in some cases, more than their all. We need to hear these men and women. I enjoyed your site and I thought our Vetern’s Day post was thoughtful.
    Thanks.

Best wishes,
    D. M. Kenyon
    author at lotus blossom book dot com

60. Hellen says:

Thank you for sharing your book! And that’s a very good interview.
    I don’t know if it counts as a military novel, but one of my favourite novels is “The Hunt for Red October”

hellenlovesbooks at gmail dot com

61. Thank you for participating in the blog tour, Stephen, and a huge thank you to Mike, for talking about a sensitive subject. My uncle was at Normandy Beach, and it changed him irrevocably. He tried to move on, but the remembrances at the 50-year celebrations were too much for him.

My nephew is in Iraq now, and we all worry about him. I know he would like to have some books to read.

My favorite military novel is Red Badge of Courage, although All Quiet on the Western Front is a close second. My email is lapidaryprose (at) gmail (dot) com

62. Christy says:

Thank you for brightening the day of a soldier. They deserve this and much, much more. christygibbon at juno dot com

63. This book looks awesome and the gift you’re giving is even more awesome. Thank you!
    PavartiDevi @ gmail

64. Thank you so much for supporting our troops! My nephew has served in Afghanistan and I worried every single day he was there. I appreciate you giving them something to read, something to do in their down time!

Sincerely,
    Doyle

65. Thank you so much for supporting our troops!

66. Stephen England says:

This outpouring of support has been a blessing to me today. Our troops are spread thin across the world today, and they have to have our support. Doyle and Elizabeth, if you would like to send me your nephews’ e-mail address, I will make sure to send them their own e-copies of Pandora’s Grave. It would be my pleasure.

67. Evan says:

I’d like to thank you for participating in this great event. It’s a spectacular sight when creators in a medium I admire work together for a greater good.

evanbartholomew@gmail.com

68. Marlene says:

I read more fantasy and science fiction military than real life. Tanya Huff’s Valor series is excellent on that front. I loved the book MASH, but that was a long time ago.

Thank you for doing this. It is such a great way to send a little slice of home, or even just a couple of hours escape.
    Marlene

69. Andrea says:

I don’t typically read military themed novels, but one that I can remember is Last of the Mohicans. I saw the movie and it insirped me to read the book. Thank you for supporting our troops this way (and I have to say that I’m going to enjoy it too). My father, husband and brother-in-law have all served or are currently serving and anything that supports our troops is near and dear to my heart.
    Thanks again,
    Andrea
    a_ariail(at)yahoo(dot)com

70. Awesome way to say thank you to our troops. I appreciate you doing this and for giving me a chance to read your book and to win a Kindle
    Thanks
    Maggie
    grandmayellowhair@gmail.com

71. SusanB says:

Thank you for your support of our troops. My favorite novel would be Gods and Generals.

72. Stephen England says:

Thanks for all your comments. The first wave of e-books just went out, the rest will follow tomorrow after I get some sleep 🙂

Incidentally, there is no need for anyone to give up their e-book so that it can go to a soldier. It makes no difference to me if I send out 100 e-books or a 1,000. Just keep the comments coming

73. Ardee-ann says:

Mike, thank you for your interview with Stephen. I appreciate your words and efforts on our behalf. My favorite military novel is “Johnny Got His Gun,” by Dalton Trumbo.

Thanks you for your efforts on behalf of Blog Tour de Troops.

Ardee-ann

sagemoon_cottage@yahoo.com

74. Amelia says:

What a wonderful way to say thank you to our troops for all they’ve done. My dad served in the Korean war.

Have a great weekend. Thank you for doing this.

Amelia
    rejoicegmj@goldenwest.net

75. Thank you for participating in the Blog Tour de Troops! Such a good cause.

~Jesi

jesilea(at)charter(dot)net

76. I don’t read a lot of military books though a lot of the suspense novels I do read have military characters. My favorite military book would have to be The Hunt For Red October. Thank you for participating in this tour as it is a very good cause and I’m happy to see so many authors coming together to do something special for our troops. shadow31071 (at) suddenlink (dot) net

77. A fellow author stopping by to thank you for participating in the tour. I’d have to say my favorite military novel is Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson. Such a great story about the enigma machine and how cracking it helped turn the tide of the war.

Thank you for helping support our troops!

Brian
    brjf @ yahoo [dot] com

78. Oto says:

I’m from Brazil and I’m proud to say I lived in America for some time and have learned to love this magnificent land of yours… I’d like to mention a war book (not a novel though) that I pretty much enjoyed the reading. It’s called Shooter, by Jack Coughlin, Casey Kuhlman, and Donald A. Davis. Thanks for supporting your country’s brave men and women in uniform. All the best, Oto. (oto.rodrigues@uol.com.br)

79. Traci says:

Hi,
    My favorite is probably Band of Brothers.
    Thank you for being part of this event.
    Traci
    nebby AT zoominternet DOT net

80. Heather says:

My favorite military novel is also Band of Brothers. Thank you for being a part of the Tour de Troops.

thesunsetwont@gmail.com

81. Bella says:

Thank you for offering your wonderful book and participating in this event. I’m a veteran and would have loved something like this when I was active duty.

Catcough@gmail.com

82. Erin Klitzke says:

I read a lot of military science fiction (and fantasy), so it’s hard to choose. I’d have to say it’s probably Glen Cook’s Black Company novels, followed by Jack Campbell’s Lost Fleet books.

Contemporary…would be Patriot Games (I know, Jack Ryan’s not a Marine anymore in that book, but he used to be one!).

Just another stop on the tour checking in, standing to be counted.

~ Erin M. Klitzke
    athensmcleod@hotmail.com

83. Theresa says:

Your book looks like a fantastic read. I really enjoyed Major Jeffrey Struecker’s novels, especially Blaze of Glory.
    Thank you for generosity and doing this for our troops!
    tweezle(at)gmail(dot)com

84. Denise Z says:

Thank you so much for participating in this event and honoring our veterans on their day and giving to our troops the joy of a good book. Your efforts are appreciated.

dz59001[at]gmail[dot]com

85. Elizabeth says:

I recently read Matterhorn and enjoyed it. Your book sounds great and I look forward to reading it.
    egstanley(at)gmail(dot)com

86. Krysykat says:

“The Hunt for Red October”, thanks Mike!

Morganlafey86(at)aol(dot)com

87. Nan says:

What a great way to honor and give to the people serving our country. Thank you for participating. I recently read Sarah’s Key which contains a great deal about the atrocities of WWII. It was an excellent book. nwilson@sportsfive.net

88. Allyson Meyer says:

Hello!! I don’t have a favorite military novel but am excited to read your book! Thanks for the free read & for supporting our troops!

allyreads81 at gmail dot com

89. MJB says:

Thanks for bringing in the reality of PTSD and our vets into the light and for participating in this cool event.
    MJB
    msmjb65 AT gmail DOT com

90. Tamsyn says:

That was a really great interview with Michael Piro. Thank you! The realities of war are really brought to you in the interview. I’m not sure it falls into the military category but Schindler’s List is a great movie.
    tamsyn5@yahoo.com

91. Karysa Faire says:

Wow, wow, wow. Thank you for posting the interview. And thank you to Mike for sharing yourself. Very moving.
    karysafaire@gmail.com

92. Thanks for being a part of this great giveaway. Sorry I am replying so late, I have only been home from work for a little while – LONG DAY! I am excited that a soldier will get this book too!
    Thanks again.
    bevsharp@desch.org

93. Candy says:

Candy
    dragonfly1976@gmail.com

94. Meg says:

Thank you for our troops, and thank you for being a part of this. It is such an amazing thing that all you authors are doing! I cannot wait to read a copy of your book.

meghan.guarnieri@gmail.com

95. Kathryn Merkel says:

I tend to read a lot of historical romances, many of which are set during & immediately after wars fought both on US soil & overseas, so I can’t really say I have a particular favorite book, but I will say that I’ve never read a book involving members of the military that treated them with anything but respect.

drainbamaged.gyzmo at gmail.com

96. Stephen England says:

Thanks for all the amazing replies, I am thrilled at the support I have seen over the last couple days. We have come a long way from the shameful treatment of our military during the Vietnam era.

All the e-books have been sent to-date, but please keep commenting. The blog tour runs through tomorrow.
    God bless

97. Mary Ann Peden-Coviello says:

Thank you for that interview, for your support of the troops, and for this give-away.

I am the mother of three sons, two of whom have just finished tours in Iraq (you can perhaps imagine the stress of having two in0-country at the same time), and have a brother who was a career soldier. My father, uncle, and cousins served as well.

I enjoy the S-F Marine “Valor” books by Tanya Huff, many Civil War histories, and the McAuslan books by George MacDonald Fraser among others.

I don’t have a particular soldier to send this ebook to (unfortunately I never succeeded in imparting my love for reading to my sons), but I’m sure whoever receives it will enjoy it.

merikat 1948 at hotmail dot com

98. I honestly can’t think of a military based novel that I have read, in the past or recently. I do want to thank you for your support. I love this event and have been telling everyone I know about it. Even got hubby in on it and taught him how to leave comments on blogs. (now I can’t get him off the computer) lol

I believe he left a comment earlier (yup Ryan Mills would be my other half)

miranda_lynn2001(at)live(dot)com

99. Cat says:

I’ve read lots of SF and fantasy books that have battles in them. I’m willing to check out any military books that are recommended.

stefscat@gmail.com

100. Sandi says:

What a great cause – thanks for supporting our troops!

I look forward to reading your book!

Sandi(at)Beckman(dot)me

101. Tammi Hagberg says:

Thank you for the support of the troops the past, present and the future.
    tammi.hagberg@sbcglobal.net
    And thank you for all your hard work, I’m looking forward to reading your book.

102. Donna Brown says:

Thank you Stephen – and Mike – for this excellent blog post.

In terms of a military novel, I’ve wracked my brains and come up short. However, I just finished Richard Evans’ factual trilogy The Rise of the Third Reich, The Third Reich in Power and The Third Reich at War and those books were simply incredible.

Thanks again!
    Donna
    donna.haw@gmail.com

103. Jeryl M. says:

Happy to support a good cause.

104. Linda Meza says:

Unbreakable by Laura Hildenbrag (sp?) was one of the best books I have ever read. It is about and American Airman taken as a POW in Japan during WWII. Great book!

Thanks for supporting our troops this way. I am sure a soldier would love a good book to escape to while they are away from their families protecting out freedom.
    Thanks again
    Linda Meza

linmeza@hotmail.com

105. Mike Piros insights and honesty about post war issues is so important to our societys “need to know” what happens to our returning soldiers. My hope is that all will understand how much work and time is needed for a smooth transition back.
    The Last Lion 2nd volume bio of Churchill was fantastic

106. Teresa Kleeman says:

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for your amazing interview with Mike and thank you Mike for serving our country and putting your life on the line for my freedom and protection.

I’m a military brat and I can’t say thank you enough. Steven thank you for the support you are giving our service people by participating in this tour.

The only book I’ve really read is Schindler’s List. And the Diary of Anne Frank and the Pianist most about the Jewish Holocaust.

Teresa K.
    tcwgrlup41(at)yahoo dot com

107. Carolyn Valdez says:

My favorite novel is Kent Family Chronicles by John Jakes. This is so great that you all are doing this tour for the troops.Thank you so much. carolynvaldez51@yahoo.com

108. Melissa Sandahl says:

I’m so glad there’s another Tour de Troops!! Can’t wait to see if there’s more comments than Memorial Day! What a great way to give our troops a little escape in a book while they are away from home and at war. Thanks IndieBookCollective!!

I don’t read a lot of military themed books. But I did actually buy “Pandora’s Grave” from the IBC sale during the last Blog Tour. IT WAS AWESOME!!! I absolutely loved it! There were times I couldn’t hardly put it down and times where I had to put it down just to give my pulse a chance to settle down! I can’t wait for the sequel to come out! Do you have a timeline at all when “Day of Reckoning” will be available? Is there any way I could get a copy of a different book since I already have “Pandora’s Grave”? I LOVE these Blog Tours. I have discovered several new authors that I really enjoy reading and you are definitely one of the my top new favorites!

Thanks for your support of the troops and the opportunity for us to participate also.

I would like the troop book to go to my cousin Zachary Neer serving in the United States Army in Afghanistan.
    Melissa
    missyebookmail (AT) mediacombb (DOT) net

109. Stephen England says:

We’re in the fourth day of this tour, and it looks like my website is still stable. 🙂 That’s a lot to be thankful for after the craziness of last week.
    Thanks to all who have commented, I’m getting ready to send out the next wave of e-books.
    Thanks, Melissa, for your kind words about Pandora’s Grave. I’ll be sending you an e-mail shortly and I’ll get your cousin’s contact info.
    Keep the comments coming!

110. Berit says:

I don’t know that I’ve read any military novels. Rather hard for me to read or follow, generally.

Thanks to those who serve, their families – and to everyone participating in this tour. What a wonderful way to support the troops!

beritlemons AT gmail DOT com

111. Diamond says:

Great post! I would love to read your book and post a review 🙂
    diamondskye20@yahoo.com

112. Stephen England says:

Well, I’m always happy to hear that. 😉 Sent the book off.

113. Karen says:

Thank you for your support and the ebook

kolists a\t gmail dt com

114. Sue says:

This is such a great thing. Thanks!

Sue
    s.sue38@yahoo.com

115. Linda K. says:

My favorite military novel (and all-time favorite novel) is Catch 22. Thank you for participating.
    wanda72 (at) aol (dot) com

116. Dee says:

Does Gone With The Wind count?

117. Bill says:

Stephen,

It took me a day to read this since Mike first tweeted about it.

In regards to preparation for war, I read the prerequisite aviation accounts of combat that almost every candidate reads before, during, or after Army aviator training. My favorite, “Low Level Hell” by Hugh Mills, feels a bit cliche, because I now happen to fly the modern-day version of that mission. How much did those stories prepare me? Honestly, I don’t feel there is much you can do to prepare yourself for being shot at in a helicopter. There also isn’t anything you can do to prepare yourself for the anxiety you feel brought on by the urgency of the situation when the guys on the ground are being fired upon by an enemy.

118. Pinky says:

Hi,

Thanks for being part of the tour. I don’t have a favorite military novel, not really my genre, to be honest I find it depressing.

To all of the women & men of the military, thank you for everything you do, the sacrifices you make, and for keeping our country safe! To the families of those in the military, thank you for the sacrifices you make each and every day.

Pinky
    pinkmaiden821(at)gmail(dot)com

119. Diane U says:

My dad was a WWII vet and landed at Omaha Beach on D-day. He didn’t live quite long enough to go on one of the Honor Tours and he didn’t talk about the war but he looked very dashing in the pictures. : ) I guess my favorite war novels would be David Weber’s Honor Universe books. It’s good to read about a lady being strong, smart and brave even if it’s Sci-Fi.
    Thanks for the book and thanks for supporting our troops

120. Holly says:

thanks for doing this. As an army veteran of multiple deployments, I can assure you that reading provides sanity and a chance to explore worlds outside the dust/rain/dirt of the present un-fun. With the advent of eBook readers it has become even easier to read, try new authors and to feel less cut off from the world.

sincerely – Holly (prosekniticATyahooDOTde)

(and no – I don’t have any favorite military novels – did the drill for 33 years….)

121. Isolabella says:

Thank you so much for supporting our troops and for participating in this blog tour.

The Things They Carried by Tim O’Brien

thenarcissuslibrary at gmail dot com

122. Jessica B says:

I’m not much for war stories. I have read some fiction war childrens books- the dear diaries series, Letters from Wolfie, Crackers, etc. I currently have From Baghdad with Love checked out from the library.
    jessangil at gmail dot com
    -Jessica B

123. Roxs says:

Thanks for participating!

Roxs
    roxburysnoopy-blogtourdeforce at yahoo.com

124. Barb A says:

Not sure if this would be my favorite if I had time to reflect over all the books I’ve read, but The Hunt for Red October is the first one that came to mind. I think it is because I really like when there is a twist that make the ending come out different that what you were expecting.

I think the Blog Tour is a terrific idea & was glad to participate last Memorial Day & again this Veterans weekend. Love getting free books & having our service people get one too. Thanks for doing this.

ackleybj {at} verizon {dot} net

125. Carmen says:

I haven’t read too many military novels….
    Thank you for the great interview and for participating in this great event to support our troops!

carmenbartATgmailDOTcom

126. Stephen England says:

Wow–these last few days have been incredible. With the Blog Tour now over, I’d like to thank everyone who came out to comment, as well as my friend Michael Piro for his cooperation with the interview. God bless you all.

127. […] You should have hopped here from Melissa Foster’s blog. The next stop on the tour will be at Stephen England’s blog. […]

128. […] You should have hopped here from Melissa Foster’s blog. The next stop on the tour will be at Stephen England’s blog. […]